Tasty Monthly Cherry Recipes
Every month we will showcase new seasonal recipes featuring Wisconsin cherries. You can also view an archive of our past recipes.
This month's recipes include Dried Cherry Relish and Upside-Down Meat Loaf.
Dried Cherry Relish
Makes 12 servings
- 1-1/2 cups dried tart cherries
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
In a medium bowl, combine cherries, red wine vinegar and balsamic vinegar. Let soak 30 minutes.
Heat butter in a large skillet. Add onion; cook 5 minutes, or until onion is soft. Add sugar; mix well. Cook, stirring occasionally, over low heat 10 minutes.
Add cherries with soaking liquid to onion mixture. Simmer, uncovered, 10 to 15 minutes, or until almost all the liquid is evaporated. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm.
Note: Relish may be prepared ahead of time and refrigerated; reheat before serving
Upside-Down Meat Loaf
Makes 3-4 servings
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cups red tart cherries & juice
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 extra large egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Lawry's seasoning salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
Sprinkle the brown sugar in a greased loaf pan. Put the cherries and cornstarch in a pan and cook until thickened. Pour this mixture over brown sugar.
Combine all other ingredients in bowl and mix well. Put this mixture on top of the cherries.
Bake at 350 degree for 1 1/4 hour. Turn the meat loaf upside down on a serving platter.